E-Books may be accessed via our website on Overdrive
On the Kindle Fire:
Getting the Overdrive App on your Nook HD
• Make sure that your wireless is turned on.
• Tap on the “Shop” button along the bottom (on the right) of your screen
• Use the “Search Shop” bar at the bottom of the screen to enter the word Overdrive (Overdrive is the company we buy e-books from)
• Tap on “Free” and then “Confirm” - this will load the Overdrive app onto your Nook.
• Tap on “Open” to open the app on your Nook
Using your app for the first time:
• Sign up for an Overdrive account
• Swipe to the right to get the Overdrive app menu to come up.
• Click on “Add a Library”
• Tap inside the “Search” bar to get your keyboard to come up.
• Enter the words “Altoona District” and then tap on the search bar.
• Tap on “Altoona District Libraries” and then tap on the star to change it to yellow which saves the Library so you don’t have to keep searching and entering the library name each time you go to check out a book.
Checking out an e-book:
• Tap on Altoona District Libraries & you will be taken to the e-book catalog
• Select a book, tap on it, tap on “Borrow”
• Enter your Martinsburg Library card number (if it ends in a letter leave it out, if it end in a number leave it in)
• Tap on “Download”
• Select the Adobe EPUB version of the book (not the Kindle format)
• Tap on “Confirm & Download”
• Go up to the three lines and the “O” in the upper left-hand corner of your screen and tap
• Select “Bookshelf” from the menu
• Your book is available to read now. Tap on it to open it up.
To return an e-book:
• Go to “Bookshelf”
• Tap and HOLD the picture of the book
• Select “Return”
Note: Once you open the book you can return to the app menu by tapping near the bottom of the screen to bring up the three lines and the “O” in the upper left-hand corner. You can return to your bookshelf or to the Altoona District Libraries home catalog page.